Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Everybody's Doing It

It seems that everyone else has a blog space ... so why not me? As I ride throught NW Georgia on my regular call-cycle in my position as a senior rep in pharmaceutical sales, I encounter quite an array of ideas in conversations I have with health care providers. Since I have been in the same territory for 20 years, I have come to know some of my docs quite well and I really enjoy the time I get to spend with them. Yesterday, I had lunch with a doc who has officially "partly retired" and only comes back to the office when others are out for vacation or other reasons. Seeing him reminds me that in May of 2007, I could officially retire from my company. I really don't know where the time has gone but it sure has passed by quickly. It seems like yesterday that I began working as a sales rep, but in fact, it was 20 years ago. Being on the road so much is really taking a toll on my health! It is a fact that the towns I travel to have gotten much bigger and have traffic problems that did not exist 10 years ago. In addition, drivers have gotten much more aggressive and have no fear of driving right on your bumper. This is especially alarming considering that most of these drivers are in big-rigs heading to and fro on I-75.

If I do retire in May, I certainly won't miss the road, but I will miss my many fellow employee buddies and the conversations I have with my customers. One gets to know folks quite well in 20 years! I'm still too young to fully retire but maybe not to change careers. Thank goodness I have kept my Pharmacist's license current because that does open some doors. What to do??

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

George,
Great Blog!
What to do you ask? Semi-retire- move to BC,NC work as a pharmisist in a family owned old fashioned drug store, in downtown BC, enjoy the slower pace, the friendly folks, your beautiful mountain home, and your family! (that's what I would do)
Love you guys!
Sheryl Mitchell

8:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

George,
Love your Blog!
Not so fast... you can't just retire and up and move away. That would take Jaye away from Clarkdale. She has to retire first and get Mitch through college. You can retire, find a part time job around here. You will enjoy the mountain house much more if it stays a "get away". Once it becomes a home you will forget just what you were getting away from and it won't seem near as relaxing.

Just presenting an opposing opinion.

Lisa Whitfield

4:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Goddard,

I too was someone who at one point longed for a mountain home to serve as a retreat for my young daughter and lovely wife. I have recently spent some time in those hills of BC,NC and have discovered that I cannot get out into the beauty of the area without attracting chigger bites. These pesky insects have made me realize that "city life" is the life for me. Good luck to you and your family

4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home