Thursday, July 13, 2006

Obituary

Ray A. Nichols, 84, of Bryson City died Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at Memorial Mission Hospital in Asheville. I copied this straight out of The Smoky Mountain Times - Thursday, June 22, 2006. It also lists his wife of 59 years, Mary Evelyn, as a survivor.

I first met Ray Nichols while eating Sunday lunch at the Hemlock Inn a couple of years ago. I saw my friends, Dr. Rudy Shirley and his wife, Joann, sitting at the table with a couple of folks whom I would soon discover were Ray and Mary Nichols. Dr. Rudy and Ray struck up a conversation that would still be taking place if their respective wives hadn't forced them to separate. I just shook their hands, said hello and introduced myself as a newcomer to Bryson City. Later, my wife and I would run into them at various places all over town and our friendship blossomed. It was never difficult to get Ray involved in a conversation. We swapped phone numbers and exchanged the hopes for future dinner invitations. We made plans to play golf, plans to come sit on the Nichols' porch and chat, plans to have Ray and Mary come to our mountain house and general plans to spend more time together. But, like the Psalmist says, "In the grave where you are going, all your plans and schemes will come to an end."

Jaye (my wife) and I came into town for the week-end and I picked up a copy of the SMT at Ingles on the way up the mountain. I was so shocked to read the sad news, especially since I had just seen Ray at Everett Street Diner 2 weeks before.

During the 4th of July festivities this year, Jaye and I recalled how on the previous year's celebration, Ray and Mary came walking through town dressed like American flags. They were quite the handsome couple and I was especially impressed with the way Ray always loved being with his wife, Mary. This year, as I was waiting in the car for my wife to return, I heard a tap on my window. Much to my surprise, there was Mary with her ususal winsom smile and her daughter, Tammy. She gave me a big hug and introduced me to her daughter. I then expressed my condolences but Mary said that Ray died the way he would have chosen. Suddenly and without suffering. Mary is pure class.

My wife and I had the rare opportunity to be welcomed as newcomers to Bryson City by this delightful couple. I will selfishly miss my new friend Ray and his smiling face and his stylish manner of dress and I will do a better job being a friend to Mary.

Thank you, Ray. You will be missed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home