Monday, October 16, 2006

AWAY FROM THE CITY


My wife and I invited some friends of ours for a week-end at our mountain house. Although they are not new to the mountains, they had not been introduced properly to Bryson City, North Carolina. Dave and Vicky and their 2 little girls, Ella and Jenna, were a delight to be around and we were blessed with absolutely perfect weather. It was cold enough both nights (mid 30's) to build a fire and the girls loved it. We watched football on TV, grilled steaks, drank wine and later made hot chocolate. The girls even roasted marshmellows over the fire.


Also, as always, we slept. The quiet and solitude of the mountain night is heaven-sent for slumber.


After a good night's sleep and a hearty breakfast with lots of coffee, it is only fitting to go for a hike. During our hikes, we talked about how so many people don't even know that places like this exist. Some people never get away from the city and I am sure they would flip-out in all of this solitude. Like the song by Mac McAnally says: "all this proximity blows their minds, now they're shootin' one another just to pass the time"! We need the quiet and majesty of the mountains. I soothes the soul.

I just wanted to share a few photos from our hike on a trail off the "road to nowhere". If you ever get to Bryson City, just ask. The drive is beautiful.



Enjoy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Luke Goddard said...

I've got to come up there. I love the mountains.

Thanks for the post on my page. I'm glad to know you're reading. Hope all is well with you. Love you too.

12:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home